Saturday 19 November 2016

Jarrick, Paladin of Iomedae Background

For the Temple of Iomedae, Magnimar. An Explanation and a Request.

I have come so far...
It seems like a lifetime ago that my family and our caravan of travellers made our way to start a new life on the frontier. Even the Paladin of Iomedae laying down his life for mine as we were torn asunder by an Orc raid is vague. It's so distant it feels almost a dream and yet the voice I heard in that moment, a female voice, steely and absolute, urging me to find my strength and embrace my anger reverberates as powerfully as ever.
It made me persist on my journey through the academy at Lastwall and find new solutions. When I was physically less able to cope with the bulky armours, heavy weapons and large shields it forced me to match my peers through speed and grace. I forwent their style in favour of lighter more manoeuvrable armour, dexterous precise strikes and deflecting blows with a lighter shield – the broken remains of the shield of my saviour all that time ago.
It drove me to learn the tongue and read the words of my enemy even though I had little interest in academic pursuits. Anything for an advantage while hunting Orcs.
It lead me on many missions from Lastwall for my Brother and Sisters in the Knights of Ozem and ultimately it led me to the Pathfinders.
But, most of all, it allowed me to understand that the strength of a character is not measured in might but conviction.
There is a darkness creeping at the edges of this world, I can feel it. With the Pathfinders I am sure we have seen glimpses of it out in the remote places but also here, in this city (and I am sure many others). So far we have prevailed and I feel my companions are trustworthy folk. They have their own reasons for action but I believe they are willing to face and vanquish whatever perils we ultimately seek.
We have, I believe, bought death to numerous evils along our journeys but death itself is always at my heels. I am under no illusions, we walk a dark path but in those shadows of darkness I stand for the light and I wish to leave a testament of that light shining when I am gone.
To that end I have negotiated a 99 year lease on the old Shadow Clock in Underbridge. It was until recently home to some unpleasant individuals and has been in a state of disrepair for too long. Renovations are likely to take some time but I have paid for them in advance. My intention is to create a beacon of Iomedae for the city and people there who endure much hardship and an angel in the shadows is more than apt. The ground floor is to be converted into a functioning soup kitchen for the poor while I intend to use the upper levels as a home if and when I can. I would like you to oversee these efforts when I am not around.
The lease is in the name of your temple should I not return. I would ask that you continue to honour my plans in that scenario. I will, of course, continue to make donations as and when I can.
The nature of my work means I try to keep a low profile and, ultimately, if this is all that is ever known about me then it is enough. These few words of The Inheritor should give all the insight that is needed: "Justice and honour are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave."
I have come so far yet there is so far left to go...

Jarrick, 

Brother of the Knights of Ozem, Servant of Iomedae.

No comments:

Post a Comment